Here is a small technique using NLP to build a little more resilience for your client:
1. Let the client imagine a movie theater, in which they see in the distance a small screen with a black and white movie of a past failure. Ask the client to freeze frame at the end of the movie, after the event is over.
2. Remind the client that there is no failure, only feedback.
3. Let the client turn the movie into color, step into the “him” or “her” on the screen, and rewind in less than a second’s time.
4. Let the client imagine the movie theater again, make the screen big and bright, and let them visualize a future success.
5. Let the client step onto the screen, into him or herself, and experience that event. What does it feel like, sound like, look like?
This technique is only meant to build resilience; it is not for traumatic events.